Embellished Book Wrap


The call out from the Quilter's Guild for this years Festival of Quilts tombola is for book wraps.
This is a little tutorial to show you how I put this one together.


Since doing a workshop with Angie Hughes a number of years ago I have been collecting sweet wrappers and the such like. Actually I have stopped now because it was getting a bit ridiculous but I have plenty to keep me going!


Let's look at the gold coin wrappers first. 
After flattening them out I put them under an old unthreaded sewing machine needle and add some texture to them.


All these bits are then ironed onto fusible webbing. MAKE SURE YOU PROTECT YOUR IRON FOR THIS!!! and don't have it on too high a temperature either.


These bits can then be arranged and cut up into any shapes you like and fused onto a background fabric.
I have used upholstery fabric. Something with a bit of body and a bit of a nap works best.


Here is a close up


Here is a finished row.
At this point I thought I was finished but then it occurred to me that the more I put on, the less space there would be to have to fill with stitching.


So I put together a few more elements.


Now what is needed is a layer of voile that keeps everything enclosed.
Begin Stitching!!


I feel as if I have been away from my machine for such a long time and so this is a great project for loosening my free machining muscle!


A machine wrapped cord, or in this case strip of fabric finishes it off.


This is a peek of the silky lining added BEFORE a zig zag edging.


It's a Wrap!!!


Comments

  1. Excellent tutorial Deborah. I've made a few bookwraps but intend to make some more so I will bear this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful piece and nice gift idea, always looking for new ideas to make for friends.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh is it EVER a wrap! I love it! One of the things I won't mind giving up in the next couple weeks (for moving) is my stash of candy wrappers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous, but do you put in the pockets for the book cover?

    I love them, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!! Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts