tip toe through the tulips.....

tulip art quilt

Here is another tulip piece for you.
It is the one and only piece I have ever done entirely using transfer printed fabric.

tulip art quilt

It was inspired by a sketch that my then 12 year old daughter did, that reminded me of my first ever trip abroad. At the age of eleven I went on a school trip to Holland and one of the excursions was to the tulip fields. Sadly, we were a bit late and the fields were full of workers dead heading the flowers!!!

tulip art quilt

I recreated the sketch on paper a number of times and the ironed the images onto fabric. You can get more than one print from each painted paper, and what I like is that each is a bit different as the textures of the brushed strokes are transferred.

tulips art quilt

Now in case you don't know transfer paints work best with a man made fabric and as I only had 100% cotton available I was a bit stuck. I was in the groove so to speak and didn't want to have to wait to purchase some polyester or similar fabric so had a hunt around and found something that fitted the bill.


This whole piece was made from one Marks and Spencer poly-cotton pillow case. Even the sashing was transfer painted.


Have you ever done transfer printing?
If you fancy having a go I can recommend this book, and these are the paints that I used.

B.T.W. I had forgotten how strange this was!

Quilt Routes





Comments

  1. That is really beautiful, love the shades you used, really turned into a stunning piece.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has a bit of an Alice in Wonderland look, but the colours are beautiful, so it ends up being quite cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I never got the chance to see my tulips bow their little heads. Woke up one morning this week and found only stems. Some critter feasted on all my tulips overnight. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts