Bye Bye Blackbird

Quilt Routes by Deborah O'Hare

More like hello blackbird, as I did this sketchbook spread (a couple of years ago..) after encountering a blackbird sitting on a garden wall staring intently at some Buddleja Globosa.

Quilt Routes by Deborah O'Hare

I was quite taken with this plant, which I discovered is more commonly known by the simpler name of Orange Ball Tree. Such a great plant to draw and create designs from.

Quilt Routes by Deborah O'Hare

Transferring it to fabric was a no brainer really!

Quilt Routes by Deborah O'Hare

After some fast fuse applique, I got stuck into some hand embroidery. 
The original plan was to stop there but in my usual fashion I wasn't happy until the whole piece was covered in stitch.

Quilt Routes by Deborah O'Hare

I took the design into the border with some stencilling and of course added Mr Blackbird.

Also, as if you have not already guessed, I have turned it into a pattern that I am giving away as a thank you to those who sign up for my Newsletter.

Click on the pic below if you would like to get a copy.



Quilt Routes




Comments

  1. I love your sketchbook art and the free pattern, just signed up, will have to mention it on my blog tonight so others can sign up. I got a small watercolor sketchbook for our trip, but never sat down long enough to relax and draw;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow you on flickr, but had never been to your blog - when I saw this, I had to pop on over! I love it so much, thank you for sharing, it's going on my "very VERY soon" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pattern and I love your book!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts